Software Engineer, Mobile Platforms
Avidyne is a leading provider of avionics to general and business aviation, and consists of a team of aviation enthusiasts uniquely positioned to play a key role in the next generation of personal aviation. Electric, vertical take-off, autonomous, helicopters, airplanes, experimental, you name it, we are working on avionics to make it better.
About the Software Engineer, Mobile Platforms position
Our Software Engineers are members of a tight-knit group of engineers who help integrate Avidyne’s next generation of products into conventional as well as novel advanced air mobility aircraft. This team works on a wide variety of software features including low-level operating system layers and high resolution, touch screen-based HMI layers.
Routine activities of the Software Engineer, Mobile Platforms include defining, architecting, developing, and debugging features, functions, and user interfaces (UI) gathered from internal and external stakeholders. Secondary activities include developing, debugging, and maintaining iOS and/or Android-based applications which act as secondary displays for pilots.
This role may be located at our office headquarters in Melbourne, Florida or at our office in Concord, Massachusetts.
Our Software Engineering responsibilities include:
- Working with internal stakeholders to define and assess software requirements for our next generation aviation products
- Defining software protocols and interfaces between avionics systems
- Architecting, developing, and debugging system features, functions, and UI designs
- Developing and maintaining iOS and/or Android-based applications and upgrades
- Authoring specifications, requirements, and test procedures for our aviation systems and software
- Evaluating system failure modes, reliability, and overall system safety
- Working to ensure our products satisfy customer, regulatory, and internal requirements
- Maintaining and improving existing code libraries
- Participating in code reviews
- Conducting software and system verification activities.
- Ability to work effectively in a team-oriented environment
- Ability to prioritize and handle tasks simultaneously in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to successfully identify and resolve complex problems
- Ability to maintain a positive outlook
- Strong written, verbal, and presentation skills (including technical writing)
- Knowledge and demonstrated ability with a high-level programming language (e.g., C++, Python)
- Knowledge and skills related to iOS development and tools (e.g., Swift)
- Knowledge and demonstrated ability with Microsoft Office suite of products.
Education & Experience:
- Undergraduate or graduate degree in Computer, Aerospace, or Software Engineering
- Experience (project or work) with:
- Embedded systems
- C++ development
- iOS development
- Source control systems.
Other Desirable Skills & Experience:
- Knowledge of commercial avionics standards and processes such as DO-178C, DO-254, AC 23.1309-1E
- Knowledge and familiarity with FAA, TSO, STC, ASTM, and/or TC processes
- Experience or applied knowledge of RESTful APIs
- Experience or applied knowledge of Android NDK, Kotlin, Java, or other Android-recognized development tools
- Experience using MATLAB and Simulink
- Experience using Atlassian tool suite (i.e., Jira, Crucible, Fisheye)
- Private pilot's license.