Software Systems Engineer I
Avidyne is a leading provider of avionics to general and business aviation and consists of a team of aviation enthusiasts uniquely positioned to play a key role in the next generation of personal aviation. Electric, vertical take-off, autonomous, helicopters, airplanes, experimental, you name it, we are working on avionics to make it better.
About the Software Systems Engineering I position
Our Software Systems Engineers are members of a tight-knit group of engineers and technicians who design, develop, support, test, and improve Avidyne's wide array of products and projects. Routine activities of the Software Systems Engineer include defining, assessing, documenting, and testing requirements for features, functions, and user interface (UI) gathered from internal and external stakeholders. Secondary activities may include code review and other software verification activities.
This role may be located at our office headquarters in Melbourne, Florida or at our office in Concord, Massachusetts.
Our Software Systems Engineer’s responsibilities include:
- Working with internal stakeholders to define and assess requirements for our next generation aviation products
- Working with partners, customers, and FAA partners to ensure that Avidyne systems meet the highest level of quality and safety
- Defining software protocols and interfaces between avionics systems
- Defining and capturing system features, functions, and UI design goals
- Evaluating system failure modes, reliability, and overall system safety
- Assisting with the refinement of Avidyne’s formal DO-178B/C software development lifecycle
- Authoring specifications, requirements, and test procedures for our aviation systems and software
- Authoring verification plans, procedures, and reports
- Developing tools and processes to aid in the development of Avidyne’s systems.
- Evaluating technical standards and FAA guidance to shape system requirements, designs, and verification strategies.
- Helping to ensure our products satisfy customer, regulatory, and internal requirements
- Coordinating with Avidyne’s Service and Manufacturing groups to capture design requirements
- Conducting software and system verification activities
- Analyzing 3rd party aviation products to guide integration strategies.
- Demonstrated strong and effective verbal and written communication (including technical documentation)
- Ability to handle multiple priorities, moving deadlines, evolving requirements, and changing focus
- Demonstrated initiative and ability to work independently as well as within a team environment
- Self-motivated and enthusiastic about solving problems
- Knowledge and demonstrated ability with a high-level programming language (e.g., C++, Python)
- Knowledge and demonstrated ability with Microsoft Office suite of products
- Undergraduate or graduate degree in Systems, Computer, Aerospace, or Electrical Engineering
- Experience (project or work) with:
- requirements gathering
- requirements management systems and tools (e.g., DOORS)
- testing techniques and tools (e.g., VectorCast)
Other Desirable Skills & Experience:
- Knowledge of commercial avionics standards and processes such as DO-178C, DO-254, AC 23.1309-1E
- Knowledge and demonstrated ability with Atlassian tool suite (i.e., Jira, Crucible, Fisheye)
- Knowledge and familiarity with FAA, TSO, STC, ASTM, and/or TC processes
- Private pilot's license