Quality Assurance Engineer
Not many people can say they work in an industry that makes air travel safer, efficient, and more reliable. At
Universal Avionics - we can! Here at UA, you will be part of a company that's leading the future of aviation to
ensure easier management and safety & reliability of all phases of flight.
As the Quality Assurance Engineer, you will assist in the establishment and implementation of QA efforts for systems development (hardware and software) to assure that products comply with regulatory requirements. You will work with engineering groups to establish project plans and standards and monitor the product development to assure compliance with those plans and standards. You will also function as a key quality representative for supplier, customer and regulatory agency audits and assist in providing local oversight of the Business Management System (BMS).
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following.
- Responsible for Quality activities for software development lifecycle adhering to DO-178 and DO-254 standards.
- Execute Software Quality Assurance Plan (SQAP) and Hardware Process Assurance Plans (HPAP) in order to comply with customer and FAA specifications including but not limited to Project Lifecycle Document reviews, build and load witnessing, Test Readiness Reviews (TRRs), integration activities, Software or Hardware Conformity Reviews (SCR/ HCR) and archival of Quality artifacts.
- Support product development and control of work transfers from manufacturing.
- Provides local oversight of BMS; reviews and approves BMS processes and documents.
- Develop and maintain quality processes to support regulatory and BMS requirements.
- Provides support for internal and external company audits, including planning and conducting audits and implementing corrective actions.
- Review project plans and standards to assure that they comply with the regulatory requirements and BMS processes.
- Assists in auditing project work for compliance with plans and standards.
- Approves Engineering Change Notices (ECN).
- Other duties may be assigned.
Competency – To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Analytical - Synthesizes complex or diverse information; Collects and researches data.
- Design - Generates creative solutions; Applies design principles; Demonstrates attention to detail.
- Problem Solving - Works well in group problem solving situations.
- Technical Skills - Pursues training and development opportunities; Strives to continuously build knowledge and skills; Shares expertise with others.
- Oral Communication - Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; listens and gets clarification; Demonstrates group presentation skills.
- Teamwork - Balances team and individual responsibilities; Exhibits objectivity and openness to others' views; Supports everyone's efforts to succeed.
- Written Communication - Writes clearly and informatively; Presents numerical data effectively; Able to read and interpret written information.
- Adaptability - Adapts to changes in the work environment; Manages competing demands; Able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events.
- Attendance/Punctuality - Is consistently at work and on time; Ensures work responsibilities are covered when absent; Arrives at meetings and appointments on time.
- Dependability - Follows instructions, responds to management direction; Takes responsibility for own actions; Commits to long hours of work when necessary to reach goals.
- Innovation - Displays original thinking and creativity; Develops innovative approaches and ideas; Presents ideas and information in a manner that gets others' attention.
- Judgment - Exhibit’s sound and accurate judgment; Supports and explains reasoning for decisions; Includes appropriate people in decision-making process.
- Motivation - Demonstrates persistence and overcomes obstacles, Measure’s self against standard of excellence.
- Professionalism - Approaches others in a tactful manner; Reacts well under pressure.
- Quality - Looks for ways to improve and promote quality; Applies feedback to improve performance.
Lead by example; supports the company and management team; consistently models desired behaviors expected from others.
- Assist in building a high performing team.
- Provide platforms for individuals to share best practices.
- Provide coaching to assist in Quality Assurance employee’s development needs.
- Communicate accurate and timely information to employees.
- Collaborates effectively with colleagues.
- Work across organization to assist in the provision of high-quality customer service and solve problems.
- Communicate accurate and timely information to key stakeholders.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily.
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable
accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience
Associate’s or Bachelor’s degree (B.S.) in a technical discipline required with at least one to six years of
related experience. Strong preference will be given to candidates with prior Quality experience. Aerospace/ Avionics / Airborne Electronics background and/or experience with AS9100 or ISO 9001, FAA and other regulatory requirements (e.g., RTCA DO-178C / DO-254) preferred. Experience conducting and supporting audits preferred. Professional team player capable of effectively performing in an environment of rapidly changing priorities and schedules.
Proficient with a personal computer, computer operating systems, word processing and spreadsheet programs, and the ability to type.
Ability to read, analyze and interpret documents, and write professional level communications. Must possess strong communication skills, including English fluency.
Ability to apply concepts and applications of arithmetic, algebra, and statistics to calculate, interpret, and present quality materials.
Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to think critically to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of situations where only limited information exists. Ability to effectively problem solve, to think quickly on one’s feet, and to make sound decisions at critical decision points.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand or sit, and participate in meetings in various physical meeting spaces throughout the facility. Additionally, the individual is required to use hands and fingers, and may be required to reach with hands and arms. The employee must be able to speak clearly, hear and see. Required vision abilities include close vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
What motivates our team
- Excellent benefits, including medical, vision, dental, PTO, 401k, and much more, as well as a robust health & wellness program
- Strong life-work balance
- Great company culture
- Groundbreaking work opportunities
- Impactful innovation in the avionics industry
- Passionate & dedicated team members
- A work environment that fosters training, professional development, and career advancement
Why you’ll like working here
Universal Avionics is a mid-sized company with all the functions and benefits of a much larger organization, so you get the best of both worlds. You’ll make an impact! You’ll be part of a company that is making huge strides in the safety and reliability of air travel. You’ll work with very motivated and skilled people who are excellent at what they do and are great mentors.You’ll bring your own unique skills set and passion to create a mutually beneficial working and learning environment. At UASC, we care about our employees, both personally and professionally.
About Universal Avionics
Universal Avionics and its parent company, Elbit Systems, Ltd., represent decades of leadership and innovation as developers and suppliers of Head-Down Displays (HDD), Head-Up Displays (HUD), Head Wearable Displays (HWD), and Combined Vision Systems (CVS), which includes both our Enhanced Vision System (EVS) and Synthetic Vision System (SVS). Universal Avionics is also a leading manufacturer of innovative commercial avionics systems, offering retrofit and forward-fit solutions for the largest diversification of aircraft types in the industry.
To learn more about Universal Avionics, visit www.UniversalAvionics.com