Manager, Avionics Installation
Summary of the Role:
Forge Flightworks now has an immediate need for an experienced Manager/Lead of Avionics Installation. Each Avionics Install Manager, is responsible for overall quality, efficiency, customer satisfaction and team member satisfaction for the company’s Avionics Installation operation. The Manager needs to be technically competent to oversee a team that is responsible for the full complement of planning and execution of avionics installation/ upgrade efforts for a broad variety of general aviation aircraft. These team members must be able to remove and install avionics equipment and electrical components; fabricate wire harnesses and terminations; troubleshoot installations; complete functional testing of avionics and electrical systems; perform basic sheet metal tasks, such as drilling, riveting, and operating basic sheet metal hand tools; potentially perform painting and finish work on instrument panels; and complete engineering/planning. This role reports to the Senior Director of Avionics.
The Manager of Avionics Installation will be experienced and technically competent enough to work not only alone in a productive, self-driven way as may be needed from time to time on aircraft avionics install projects, but also would be act as the primary leader of an installation team of two to five people, be responsible for identifying training/development needs for members of the team and for ensuring programs are put in place and executed to develop and perfect team member avionics installation skills.
- Be the primary person to plan the daily and overall execution of each avionics installation project assigned to his/her team of two to five techs in accordance with the engineering plan provided by Avionics Engineering.
- Evaluate technical talent, identify training/skill development needs, put in place training and related programs to develop talent and improve the productivity within his/her Avionics Installation team.
- Demonstrate Level II or III (craftsman or master level) proficiency in interpreting wiring diagrams, aircraft blueprints, and schematics, and in executing installation projects.
- Assure team’s installations are done in accordance with procedures described in the company’s FAA Repair Station Manual as well as with FAA Regulations and manufacturer instructions.
- Use sound judgment and technical aptitude to make good decisions on job sequence/techniques and troubleshooting resolution to maximize quality, efficiency and adherence to agreed-upon deadlines.
- Keep company’s Project Manager informed of progress and support company’s Quality Assurance program.
- Operate with the highest level of ethics, integrity, safety and honesty.
- Be able to lift equipment and materials weighing up to 50 pounds.
- Be able to climb ladders, apply finger and hand dexterity in using hand tools, be able to move around the shop/hangar area and within aircraft continuously throughout the workday.
Key Competencies and Attributes:
- Passion for and proven competence in people development within an avionics installation team operation.
- Proven lead / manager skills – ability to identify, track and execute key performance metrics in technical team.
- Avionics wiring plan / engineering plan interpretation skills.
- Passion for aviation, learning, innovation and achievement.
- Self-motivation and the ability to work in a self-directed way.
- Willingness to work alongside others in the team - as part of the team - and lead by example
- Ability to lead, mentor and teach others in team to foster their professional and technical skills development.
- Integrity, trustworthiness, work ethic, good judgment and dependability.
- Professional appearance, demeanor and presence.
- Customer and employee service orientation, attitude and demeanor.
- Computer usage expertise, including MSFT Office & EBis line of business software (training provided for EBis).
- Compliance with company policies and procedures.
- Must be able to pass drug test, as required by FAA, and pass criminal/background check.
Education and Experience:
- Required Experience: Minimum of two years of work experience in a general aviation aircraft modification/completion shop in lead or manager role.
- Preferred Experience: At least five years of successful avionics installation, repair or maintenance experience – preferably as a lead, supervisor or manager - with deep knowledge of Garmin, Rockwell Collins, Honeywell, Avidyne, Aspen Avionics, Bendix-King and/or other leading avionics brands.
- Required Education: High school diploma or equivalent.
- Preferred Education: College / university degree or two years of accredited schooling in aviation electronics.
- Preferred Credential: Aircraft Electronics Technician (AET) Certificate by National Center for Aerospace and Transportation Technologies (NCATT).
- Preferred Credential: FAA Mechanic / Repairman’s Certificate with Airframe and Powerplant Ratings.
At Forge Flightworks, each associate is a valued resource. Forge offers a stable yet exciting environment that has fostered a surprisingly long tenure for its team members. Contributing to this inviting workplace is a compelling overall compensation package that includes:
- Competitive compensation.
- 401(k) retirement program with generous company match.
- Group health insurance subsidized by Forge.
- Company-provided term life insurance, short-term disability, long-term disability and pet insurance coverage.
- Access to an innovative array of additional ancillary benefits subsidized or paid for by the company.
- Paid Time Out, including eight paid holidays each year, for unsurpassed work/life balance.
- For tech team members, a tool reimbursement program currently providing $600 per year per tech.
- Discounts on Forge Flightworks products and services.
This role is based at Forge Flightworks’ location in greater Nashville, Tennessee, known the world over as “Music City” – a vibrant and growing area offering an incredible quality of life. The Smyrna/Rutherford County Airport is the most active general aviation airport in Tennessee and third/fourth most active airport overall in the state. Forge is located at 624-B Fitzhugh Blvd, Smyrna, TN.
Forge Flightworks is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity.