This course is designed for the homebuilder or avionics technician who is looking for guidance in completing an avionics installation on an experimental aircraft. While the Garmin G3X Touch system is used as an example in the course, the wiring principles and general guidance can be applied to any experimental avionics system. From the do-it-yourselfer to the avionics shop looking to carve a niche, this class has something for everyone.
This class will begin with an overview of wiring basics, but it will quickly advance through the common practices involved in wiring. Students will spend a significant portion of this course learning, hands-on, how to wire a G3X Touch system. Attendees also will learn how to plan, install, interface and configure the G3X Touch system.
Levi Self of Midwest Avionics
Avionics Overview for Experimental Aircraft
- Popular avionics platforms.
- Planning your avionics installation.
- Optional equipment and compatibility.
- Integration with IFR navigators.
- Compatible third-party equipment.
- ADS-B for experimental aircraft.
- Differences between experimental and certified avionics.
Tools and Techniques
- Tools required for avionics installation.
- General wiring practices and techniques.
- Shield termination and wire-splicing practice.
- Wiring practices to avoid.
Data Bus Overview
- Overview of data buses used in experimental aircraft.
- CAN Bus wire, layouts and terminations.
- Common data bus wiring mistakes.
- General equipment installation guidelines.
- General equipment location, and environmental considerations.
- ADAHRS vibration considerations.
- Magnetometer isolation from magnetic interference.
- Potential problems from improper installations.
- Overview of electrical systems.
- System architecture.
- Wiring diagrams.
- Harness layouts.
- Power and ground checkouts.
- Initial power up.
- Software loading.
- Data bus configuration.
- General configuration and calibration.
- Avionics databases.
Planning a Test Flight
- Flight planning and safety precautions.
- On-ground versus in-air system operational checks.
- First flight autopilot engagement and tuning.
- Basic troubleshooting tips.
- Integrated troubleshooting tools.
- Common mistakes.
- Troubleshooting guide.