The European Aviation Safety Agency has published its long-awaited Notice of Proposed Amendment NPA 2019-05, which proposes amendments to Annex I (Part-21) to Regulation (EU) No. 748/2012 and Annex II (Part-145) to Regulation (EU) No. 1321/2014, in order to introduce safety management principles that implement ICAO Annex 19, and to foster an organizational culture for effective safety management and effective occurrence reporting in accordance with Commission Regulation (EU) No. 376/2014.
This NPA proposes to consider the applicability of safety management systems to Part-145 approved maintenance organizations, as well as to production and design organizations that are approved in accordance with Subparts G and J of Part-21.
According to the EASA, through implementation of SMS, safety will be enhanced through:
- The establishment of safety policies and objectives that are associated with sufficient resources.
- The systematic identification of hazards and a risk management system.
- The safety assurance system, including giving consideration to safety performance.
- Safety promotion.
This RMT also aims to streamline the procedures for oversight and introduce a set of new, common management system requirements for competent authorities to increase their efficiency.
NPA 2019-05 is divided into three parts.
The present NPA 2019-05 (A) includes:
- The procedural information pertaining to the regulatory proposal.
- The explanatory note to the proposed amendments.
- The regulatory impact assessment.
- A detailed summary of the proposed amendments (see Chapter 7 Appendices).
The draft implementing rules, as well as the draft acceptable means of compliance and guidance material for Part-21, are proposed in NPA 2019-05 (B), whereas those for Part-145 are proposed in NPA 2019-05 (C).
The Aircraft Electronics Association will be reviewing the NPA over the coming weeks and provide discussion points to the membership as they become available.
FOR MORE INFORMATION:
Contact Ric Peri, vice president of government & industry affairs for AEA, by email at email@example.com or by phone at 202-589-1144.